1. You have a Diploma/Bachelor or Master degree in Design and graduated no more than 3 years ago.*
2. You plan to set up your own business based on your design-in-tech project. You have already developed a proof-of-concept for your idea, ideally during your Diploma, Bachelor or Master thesis.
3. You have a mentor/professor who will coach the progress of your start-up initiative at DesignFarm.
4. Your place of residence is Berlin.
5. You don’t receive and haven’t received any grants through other German start-up programs (e. g. EXIST).
6. Part-time employment is allowed. However, it is expected that you invest at least 80 h/month in your start-up.
DesignFarm supports harvesting and start-up strategies for Design-in-Tech concepts in three different fields:
1. product-related innovations
2. innovative manufacturing processes
3. competence-based start-ups
In all three directions, the development of the product, process or proof of competence must already have taken place and must be verifiable, e. g. by means of prototypes, samples, relevant activities, etc… Together with mentors and coaches, sustainable and effective economic models are then developed on the farm.
what we mean by Design-in-Tech
The new digital technologies allow designers to radically rethink their role. Design, manufacturing and distribution models are changing: Designers are developing new digital tools and innovative manufacturing methods that enable different products, open up new aesthetic fields and reconfigure production chains. We expect that this comprehensive innovation impetus will not only enable new, innovative products and services, but also create meaningful start-up initiatives and fulfilling employment opportunities. DesignFarm – as a new vehicle to traditional business development strategies – supports the instinct of designers to open up qualitatively different perspectives for start-ups.
We look forward to receiving your application!
*Exceptions are made for applicants from the excellence cluster „Image, Knowledge, Design“.